23 May 2012

What is the Gap?

In Australia, the Government publishes standard prices for medical procedures under the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS). If you have had treatment under the private health caresystem Medicare pays 75% of the MBS fee when you undergo a procedure in hospital, and your health fund pays the remaining 25%.

There is no requirement for doctors to charge the MBS, so a health insurance gap occurs when you are treated by a doctor who charges above the MBS. The difference between the MBS price (what your health fund will generally cover) and your doctor's costs are called 'the gap', and this is often payable out of your own pocket.

Some health funds do offer gap cover, but usually this is only with their highest level plans (most comprehensive cover). Depending on your insurer you may even be able to purchase additional gap cover on top of your regular health insurance plan.


How do I know if I'll have a gap to pay?

The Private Health Insurance Ombudsman has stated that 82% of privately insured services in hospital are gap-free. This is great news as it decreases the chances of your treatment incurring a gap.

The best way to find out if you'll have a gap to pay for your procedure is to ask for a list of all costs before the treatment. It's called Informed Financial Consent and it is your right.

Some questions you should ask include:

  1. Does this hospital have an agreement with my health fund to cover all my costs
  2. How much will my doctor/surgeon charge and will there be a gap to pay?
  3. Does my health fund cover the gap or will I be liable for that cost?
  4. How can I avoid or minimise the gap?

You can avoid or minimise the gap by getting quotes from several different medical professionals and selecting one that doesn't charge above the MBS fee, or one whose gap cost you can afford.

Remember, the majority of your in-hospital treatment probably won't incur a gap, but do ask questions before any procedure so you won't have to worry about costs afterwards.

This is general information only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the relevant PDS available on this website prior to purchasing any product. Choosi offers insurance products from a range of brands but does not compare all products available in the market.

Search blog


Signup to our newsletter


Receive articles, news & tips as soon as they are published. We'll send occasional updates on the latest product offers, competitions and more!
By subscribing you consent to us contacting you and agree to our Privacy Policy

Related articles

19 Statistics you should know about health insurance
22 Sep 2016

19 Statistics you should know about health insurance

Learn about 19 interesting statistics about health insurance in Australia here.

Read More
Stay healthy with these easy changes to your everyday life
14 Nov 2013

Stay healthy with these easy changes to your everyday life

Want to be healthy and live a long fulfilling life? There are easy changes you can make to your everyday life to keep your body and mind in top condition.

Read More
Get your moustache on for Movember
19 Sep 2013

Get your moustache on for Movember

Movember - an effort to raise awareness about men's health. Find out more about Movember and how you can get involved.

Read More

Ready to compare?