Compare Now

Contents insurance

Understanding contents insurance

Contents insurance covers your belongings - such as furniture, clothes, electronics, jewellery, sports equipment, carpets and curtains - from loss, damage or theft. This type of cover can be ideal if you're renting.

Contents policies provide cover against a range of events including fire, theft, storm and more. Choosi can help you find the right cover for you, from essential cover at a more affordable price, to top cover, where you can enjoy higher benefits across a broad range of events. Some policies even include new for old replacement on items if your contents are damaged or stolen.

Contents insurance doesn't insure your house and some fittings so if you own your own home (or are paying it off), consider home and contents insurance for peace of mind. You should read the relevant PDS for specific details including what’s covered, but we’ve included some general information to get you started below.

What is covered?

Contents insurance often includes the following covers:

Accidental damage

Cover for damage unintentionally caused to your contents, including accidental glass breakage such as mirrors and fixed glass in furniture.

Natural disasters

Cover for a wide range of natural disasters, including fire, storm, flood, earthquake and other events.

Theft and malicious damage

Protection against theft or malicious damage to your contents, including vandalism.

Transit cover

Transit cover insures your goods against loss or damage caused by fire, collision or other vehicle misadventure while they are being transported.

Water damage

Cover for damage caused by the bursting, leaking or overflow of water.

Home office cover

Select insurance policies include cover for the contents in your home office - no need for a separate policy.

Contents outside your home

Cover for contents outside of your home, such as outdoor furniture and BBQs.

Looking for extra cover?

Insurers frequently allow you to customise your contents insurance to better suit your needs with optional extras like:

Electrical motor burnout

Covers the cost of repairing or replacing an electric motor that's part of your contents, such as your washing machine. It can even cover the cost of food that's spoiled if your fridge or freezer suffers a burnout!

Portable valuables cover

Valuables such as your wedding ring, camera, and sunglasses aren't meant to be locked up at home. Cover against the loss or accidental damage of your favourite items anywhere in Australia.

This is general information only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the relevant PDS available on this website prior to purchasing any product. Choosi offers insurance products from a range of brands but does not compare all products available in the market.

Compare home and contents insurance products now

Don’t leave it to guesswork or chance! Start comparing with Choosi today for your home and contents insurance.