Compare Now

Home and contents insurance

Understanding home and contents insurance

Insure your home and belongings against damage and theft so you can be confident that your most important assets are covered. Home and contents insurance provides cover against a range of events including fire, theft, storm and more. You should read the relevant PDS for specific details including what’s covered, but we’ve included some general information to get you started below.

What is covered?

Home and contents insurance often includes the following covers:

Accidental damage

Cover against damage unintentionally caused to your home, including accidental glass breakage cover such as window glass, shower screens, basins and toilets, mirrors and fixed glass in furniture.

Natural disasters

Protection against a wide range of natural disasters, including fire, storm and earthquake.

Theft and malicious damage

Protection against theft or malicious damage to your contents, including vandalism.

Water damage

Cover for damage caused by the bursting, leaking or overflow of water.

Impact damage

Cover for damage due to impact, whether it is a falling tree or a car crashing into your house or building.

Transit cover

Transit cover insures your contents while they are being moved against loss or damage caused by fire, collision or other vehicle misadventure.

Contents outside your home

Cover for items such as outdoor furniture, bikes and BBQs (cover limits apply).

Strata fixtures

Can cover strata fixtures owned by you that can't be insured through your body corporate.


Have external locks replaced if your keys are stolen.

Emergency accommodation

Get emergency accommodation if your home is unsafe to live in.

Home office cover

Insure the contents of your home office on the same policy (cover limits apply).

Away from home contents cover

Often available is cover for your belongings if they’re stolen from an approved location away from your home.

Looking for extra cover?

Insurers frequently allow you to customise your contents insurance to better suit your needs with optional extras like:

Electrical motor burnout

Covers the cost of repairing or replacing an electric motor that's part of your contents, such as your washing machine or automatic garage door motor. It can even cover the cost of food that's spoiled if your fridge or freezer suffers a burnout!

Portable valuables cover

Some valuables, such as your wedding ring, camera or sunglasses, aren’t meant to be locked up at home. Cover against the loss or accidental damage of your favourite nominated items anywhere in Australia.

This is general information only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the relevant PDS available on this website prior to purchasing any product. Choosi offers insurance products from a range of brands but does not compare all products available in the market.

Compare home and contents insurance products now

Don’t leave it to guesswork or chance! Start comparing with Choosi today for your home and contents insurance.