Understanding public liability
A public liability claim could result from:
- An unsafe environment where a third party was injured
- Damage to a third party's personal property
- A faulty or defective product
Businesses that interact with customers or the public can be protected by public liability insurance. This includes consultants, contractors or tradespeople who work from home or visit their clients' premises as well as businesses that have an office, showroom, shop or any premises.
Policyholder benefits include compensation for personal injury and/or property damage to a customer or member of the public as well as legal and defence costs. Employee injury, damage to your property and known claims and circumstances are typically not covered.
Policies are usually tailored to individual businesses and range from $5 million to $20 million worth of cover. Each business will require a different amount of cover depending on the type of business and the manner in which it is carried out.
When deciding on how much cover you should have you should think about the following factors:
- Do any of your contracts require a minimum level of cover?
- Has your industry body set a minimum level of cover for membership?
- Does your business or trade license require a minimum amount of cover?
- Do the terms of your lease require a minimum level of cover?
- Finally, what is your level of risk and exposure? What kind of accidents could occur and what could be the potential cost of a claim?
To find out more about public liability insurance and learn how it is a part of an insurance package for your business contact Choosi. We'll help you find the right business insurance with quotes from leading insurers.
This is general information only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the relevant PDS available on this website prior to purchasing any product. Choosi offers insurance products from a range of brands but does not compare all products available in the market.
Learn more about business insurance