You can choose from accident only or accident and illness pet insurance policies.
For cover that Choosi offers direct, optional cover for Routine Care is available and Emergency Boarding, Essential Euthanasia and Paralysis Tick Benefit is included at no extra cost.
The insurance available for your pet will depend not only on the type of policy you choose but also on the breed, age and medical history of your animal. These factors also impact premium pricing.
Accident only, or accident and illness?
You may decide you only want to cover your pet for accidents, or extend that cover to illness too.1
Here are some key aspects of the two types of cover*.
Accident and Illness
|Basic cover for accidents, a more affordable option than accident and illness cover
||Broader protection with illnesses covered too
|Examples of included accidents might be injury from a motor vehicle accident, snake bite or broken bones
||Covered up to your benefit limit for treatment for Illnesses
|Your puppy or kitten must be at least eight weeks old to apply
||Your puppy or kitten must be at least eight weeks old to apply
|No upper age limit to get cover. Once insured your pet can keep the cover for life2
||Eligible to get cover if pet is between 8 weeks and 9 years old. Once insured your pet can keep the cover for life2
|Visit any licensed vet in Australia
||Visit any licensed vet in Australia
|Claim for accidental injuries occurring the day after cover starts (no waiting period)
||30-day waiting period for illness cover (most insurers)
|Six month waiting period for cruciate ligament injuries, but this may be waived at your insurer's discretion
||Six month waiting period for cruciate ligament injuries, but this may be waived at your insurer's discretion
*Pre-existing conditions are excluded, and sub-limits may apply.
The breed and individual medical history of your dog or cat can affect your premium and level of cover. Mixed breeds are generally cheaper to insure because the average vet bills for a pedigree tend to be higher.4 Pet Insurance may not be available for certain breeds.1
Your pet's age will also affect your premium. You can insure your kitten or puppy from eight weeks old. If your pet is aged less than 9 years old at time of application, you may be eligible for combined accident and illness cover. Once covered, as long as you pay the premiums and keep the policy continuously in force, your pet can keep this cover for life. Pets aged 9 years and over are generally excluded from obtaining illness cover, however standalone accident only cover is generally available for these older pets. This is why it is important to cover your pet as sooner rather than later.
You'll only receive benefits from your insurance policy if you claim for something that is covered by the policy. Exclusions apply to every policy, but generally many pet insurance policies will cover:
- Hereditary and congenital conditions, provided that the symptoms / clinical signs of defects were not present before the policy start date (provided your pet has illness cover)
- Accidental injuries like burns, bone fractures and bite wounds
- Illnesses caused by parasites like tapeworm (provided your pet has illness cover)
- Patella luxation - a knee joint problem that can cause lameness (provided your pet has illness cover)
- Cancer, diabetes and some skin conditions (provided your pet has illness cover)
- Elbow dysplasia - a front leg degenerative condition that may require surgery to fix (provided your pet has illness cover
- And others
What most policies do not cover
- Pre-existing conditions
- Chronic or recurring conditions beyond pre-set annual benefit limit
- Illegal breeds
- Pandemic diseases
- Alternative therapies
- Voluntary euthanasia
- Prosthesis and organ transplants
- Treatment related to breeding and obstetrics
Pet Insurance can help you recover up to 85% of eligible vet bills.5
Choosi can help you compare, choose and apply for pet insurance. Call Choosi’s team of Choosers on 1300 462 487
or get a quote online for pet insurance today.
This is general information only and does not take into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the relevant PDS available on this website prior to purchasing any product. Choosi offers insurance products from a range of brands but does not compare all products available in the market.
1. ASIC's MoneySmart, Pet Insurance, https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/insurance/pet-insurance 2. As long as you keep your pet’s policy continually in force. 3. Conditions apply. 4. RSPCA, Pedigree dogs FAQ, https://rspca.org.au/campaigns/pedigree-dogs/pedigree-dogs-faq 5. Pre-existing Conditions and certain illnesses are excluded, sub-limits may apply. Claim for reimbursement.